Friday, November 02, 2007

Sandra Betts Journal Quilt

One of my fellow Quilt Art members doesn't have a blog to post her journal quilt, so I'm hosting it on mine. Isn't it incredible?

Sandra Bett's entry in the 2007 Journal Quilt Project. 17"x22"


Sandra Betts Journal Quilt detail.
A Page from My book: Journal Quilts 2007- Journal Quilt Project
Sandra Betts
Saint John, New Brunswick
Canada
MY FUNDY SHORES
Creative Quilting techniques used:
painted distressed tyvek(page 148); stitched woodgrain( page 227);yarn,beads and shell embellishments(page219);confetti composition on bubble wrap base with tulle overlay; thread painting; shiva paintstiks;encaustic wax; puff paints;dimensional sculpting on wire mesh covered with hand dyed fabric;coloured pencils.
I have participated in the Journal Quilt project from the beginning. It has been a great opportunity to digress from the mundane and step out of the box. For this ,the project finale, I was inspired to document my home province of New Brunswick in the shape of the project and to use as many unconventional techniques as I could include to convey the beauty of my surroundings. I especially enjoyed being able to sculpt the driftwood by quilting wire mesh between hand dyed fabric and using bubble wrap as a base.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Nikki said...

Beautiful quilt. It is unlike any that I have seen. It almost looks like a fresco in the photograph. I love the texture. Stunning!

jpsam said...

This is wonderful! I'm so glad we are able to see it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sandra,

What a wonderful piece! The depth and detail are breathtaking. It has the presence of a much larger work--say 4'x 5'or more. Loved the variety of techniques you used, too.

I just joined the quiltart list last week, and I've learned so much since then. I wish there was going to be another Journal Quilt show in the future!

Linda Laird

Carole said...

Oh Sandra!! What can I say?
Your work is always so beautiful, I am always in awe, but this is incredible. What techniques and what a tribute to New Brunswick!
The BEST yet!
Carole (in Osoyoos)

Cynthia St Charles said...

Sandra, This is my favorite so far! I really love the Tyvek as well as the way you've used all those little bits of fabric. Very impressionistic, painterly effect. I wish I could see it in person and really study what you've done to achieve all that depth and texture. I'd like to see more of your work.

Carol said...

Fabulous quilt. I especially love how you have used the tyvek.

Dale Anne Potter said...

Oh Sandra - this is FABULOUS! I am speechless - the beauty is unbelievable.
GORGEOUS!!!